When you’re frustrated with a work situation, it can be difficult not to react negatively. But it’s important that you secure a healthy perspective in order to foster a positive workplace environment. Lashing out or getting too comfy can mean the end of fairly good position, the opportunity to earn that desired promotion, or the inability to inspire and lead your team. And regardless of your future plans, you wouldn’t an awkward situation to taint your professional reputation.
Like the seven deadly sins, you must make an effort to avoid the following 5 fatal flaws:
1. Anger. Anger is generally a masking emotion, meaning it is a cover for deeper, more painful ones. If you’re feeling angry you must ask yourself what you’re really feeling. Sadness? Disappointment? Frustration? Hopelessness? All these emotions can hide safely beneath anger, making it difficult for you to deal with your true feelings. Not only that, but anger can be extremely destructive.
2. Envy. Think of all the famous fables, stories and fairy tales. Did jealously ever get anyone anywhere? No. In fact, it’s generally a fatal flaw that destroys both antagonists and heroes alike. And in the work place, jealousy only distracts you from performing your job well.
3. Complacency. Webster defines complacency as ‘self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies.’ Unless you’re continually trying to improve your game, chances are you’ll become complacent, unaware that you’re no longer fulfilling your job description and meeting your employer’s and/or clients’ needs.
4. Short-sighted. It’s important that you have a vision for what the company aspires to do as well as an action plan that will help you accomplish it. Understanding the big picture enables you to reach higher while contributing to your employer’s and/or clients’ success.
5. Arrogance. Like jealousy, there are no inspiring stories about great leaders who achieved their goals with arrogance. Regardless of your role, it’s important that you be a team player who is teachable and continually striving to better yourself.
It’s important that you evaluate your workplace attitude to see if you’ve become the biggest obstacle to your own career advancement. Sometimes a slight change in perspective is all it takes to change the trajectory of your future.
Register for Universal’s FREE Start Today Seminar
From DC to Texas and Canada to California—Universal travels the country providing free 3-hour seminars teaching the secrets to establishing a successful accounting and bookkeeping service. There you’ll learn how to enhance your service offerings while increasing your bottom lime! Look at our schedule and register for one of our seminars in a city near you. As attendee Dennis Shumway explained, “I have been involved in financial service for 20 years and have attended seminars all over the country. The quality of this class has been head and shoulders above any class that I have ever taken.”
Take advantage of this FREE opportunity now! Register today!