Get The Skills To Be A Tax Preparation Professional
What is our Professional Tax Preparer™ Certification?
Professional Tax Preparer™ Certification, or PTP Certification, is Universal Accounting School’s unique program that affirms & validates the skills and abilities of an individual to perform tax preparation services for individuals & businesses.
Any accountant or individual can call themselves a tax professional and offer services to help prepare federal tax returns, however the education and expertise of those individuals can vary widely. That is why certification from a reputable brand like Universal Accounting is not only recommended, but so necessary for most business opportunities. Certification clearly distinguishes to any prospective client that the certified individual is in fact a true tax professional with in-depth knowledge and experience into even the most unique tax situations.
Changing legislation in the tax code and health care reform makes expertise in tax preparation & filing taxes more and more of a need. Employers and clients look for respected credentials when choosing to trust a tax professional.
“Accounting and finance professionals are in high demand, thanks to the steadily rebounding economy. Still, it’s the advanced certifications you earn that will help you secure the position and compensation you want. When you take the time to invest in professional development and certifications, it makes your resume stand out and sends a message to employers that you’re dedicated to your career and motivated to advance by enhancing your skills and knowledge.” by Robert Half Finance & Accounting
Why Get Certified as a Professional Tax Preparer?
What benefits does Universal Accounting’s Tax Preparation Class provide?
You can have the many benefits of a lucrative business when you become a Professional Tax Preparer™, including:
- The professional designation of “PTP” that certifies their skills preparing individual and business returns
- Be in demand for your skills, set yourself apart from non-certified competitors
- Earn $100+ an hour
- Work whenever and however you want
- Reduce your own tax liability
- Work from home
- Work full-time or part-time
Why so many enroll in the Professional Tax Preparer (PTP) program to improve their accounting career:
- The 100% money-back guarantee (see below)
- Convenient, at-home learning through an all-online course
- The ability to do the program & get certified in weeks rather than months
- The ability to pay the tuition in full or take advantage of the available student loan options to finance
- The assigned individual coaches, an orientation counselor, academic coach (individual tutor), marketing coach
- The Continuing Professional Education, CPE, credits available – 67 hours.
Benefits of Online Courses vs. In-Person
The Professional Tax Preparer (PTP) program is specifically designed to be completely online. While some people do prefer learning in an in-person atmosphere, and while it is possible to search for “tax classes near me” and find some viable options, we believe the benefits of an online class outweigh that of local in-person classes.
- Online courses are updated constantly with new tax legislation from around the country. Meanwhile, local tax preparation classes may have less frequently updated curriculums for non-local tax laws.
- Students receive significantly more access to resources when they go through their tax preparation training online. Our library of resources is vast. Plus, for any and all questions, teaching and program support are only an email or phone call away. Local options will likely be limited to one or two teachers, and their personal availability for questions or tutoring much less frequent.
- Online classes give students the flexibility and freedom to complete the curriculum at their own pace, fits well into already busy schedules, and allows students to continue participating in their life and career. Many of our students are already involved in the accounting or finance world and wish to continue working while they become certified tax preparers.
Program Assistance Benefits
As a student and or graduate of Universal Accounting’s Professional Tax Preparation program, a buyer is entitled to our Job Placement Assistance Program (PB, QS and PTP Programs), and may be assisted with:
- Resume Preparation
- Assistance via email in the review and development of a resume for the purpose of securing interviews
- Resume Placement Assistance
- Helping to identify possible employers and accounting related positions by following a weekly routine
- Interviewing Technique Review
- Role play advice and suggestions to improve the success of interviewing opportunities.
Employment Opportunity & Job Demand
As the saying goes, the only guarantees in life are death and taxes. Though this is often a lighthearted comment, the sentiment rings true. Taxes are not going anywhere, and everyone has to pay them. Because of this, your tax preparer certification is a worthwhile long-term investment. When you spend time taking tax preparation classes, you are not only gaining new skills and an understanding of the tax system, but you are also cementing your place in the job market for decades to come. Some encouraging statistics include:
- Nearly 80% of Americans were required to file taxes this year.
- Approximately 144 million individuals and 2.4 million corporations filed returns last year
- 82 million returns are prepared by paid professionals, only 23% of which are handled by franchises
- 32,000 tax preparation firms generate approximately 7.7 billion in revenue
- The majority of the firms that prepare tax returns are small, with less than 10 employees
- The tax prep industry is expected to grow by 4% compounded annually
- Source – LibertyTaxBus
- SOURCE: for more information regarding compensation consider Robert Half International Salary Guide 2022
Whether you’re interested in running your own tax services business or adding tax preparation skills to advance your current career, becoming a certified Professional Tax Preparer™ can open doors to a rewarding financial future. Additionally, as a tax preparer you may also want to become an Enrolled Agent, EA. The Professional Tax Preparer program is also designed to help you prepare for the IRS EA exam — the individual returns, business returns and IRS ethic requirement sections– in a very comprehensive way.
How to Get Certified & Become a Tax Preparation Professional
Our Program: How it Works
How do I learn how to prepare taxes? How do I start my practice? How do I grow my practice? Where do I find clients?
These are some of the many questions our clients have as they begin our PTP Certification program, and we address them all. Our Professional Tax Preparer™ Program course consists of 20 – 67 hours of training over 4 modules (listed below). The courses are completely online, and can be taken at your own pace. The courses include all aspects of personal & business tax training to become proficient in individual & business tax planning & preparation.
Course Details & Modules
The first 3 course modules & trainings include:
(Click on each module for details & Table of Content)
- Establishing the Tax Foundation: Learn the entire process for determining income and adjustments to income, which will factor into the Adjusted Gross Income
- Becoming the 1040 Expert: Understand all the adjustments that can be made to adjusted gross income, including credits that are allowed and different types of deductions and exemptions that can be taken against that adjusted gross income number
- Profitable Business Returns: Experience completing each of the schedules and forms common to business organizations. See the various business types and why one may be chosen over another. Learn tax concepts in accounting, “Elements of Business Financial Statements,” and how to report gain and loss on dispositions of business property.
- Building a Successful Tax Practice: Get a head start in creating and running your own tax preparation service. The skills and strategies presented in Module IV of the PTP are the result of years of experience in running a tax preparation business and incorporate the input of countless tax professionals. Each session in this module provides a proven and practical direction for starting a tax preparation business and growing it profitably.
All along the way, you’ll have an assigned Academic Coach & Tutor for support. You’ll have access to the support of knowledgeable CPA’s and other experienced accounting professionals throughout your course and beyond.
Our tax preparation courses include the books and worksheets necessary to complete them (over 600 pages of instruction and reference materials). This tax training course is very engaging and entertaining. You have the flexibility to complete the courses on your own time, in a way that fits your life. The course is taught by our experienced accounting professionals who give practical advice on not only tax issues, but also provide real-world solutions to give you the edge in productivity and profitability. Our tax instructors know what challenges you will face because they have been there themselves.
Taking the Tax Preparation Certification Exam
After completing the training, Universal Accounting students feel confident and fully prepared to take the Professional Tax Preparer™ certification exam. The Professional Tax Preparer™ program may also qualify for as many as 67 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits depending on the state or association you are a member of (some states offer related services to help those offering tax services and may have additional requirements).
Upon qualification, you become certified as a Professional Tax Preparer and are licensed to use the (PTP) designation. Your enrollment in the PTP Certification program extends even after you are qualified, and includes the following:
- An assigned Marketing Coach to support & help build a tax business. You’ll be assigned to a team of coaches to tutor and instruct you as needed and apply all of this in the real world for as many as 1 to 2 years
- Training Module #4: Building Your Successful Tax Practice: The turnkey process to start & build a successful tax business. This includes proven marketing strategies, pricing, client interviewing for tax planning and preparation and much more.
- As part of your enrollment and upon completion of the program you’ll have the opportunity to speak with your assigned business coach and have a Marketing Implementation Session. This will be a one-on-one discussion to develop your business plan and a clear marketing strategy to get you the clients you need.
Meet Your Coaches
Adam Syvock – your tutor Academic & Firm Coach – Professional Bookkeeper (PB) program. Adam works with Universal Accounting’s PB students regarding questions about the curriculum and real-world accounting situations. Adam is a graduate of Universal Accounting’s PB program himself, and also holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In addition, Adam also uses his skills as a profit and growth expert to run his own accounting practice. He is also QuickBooks Certified and is working towards his Enrolled Agent (EA) designation to be able to help small businesses with accounting and tax.
Steve Eckman – your tutor Academic & Firm Coach – Professional Tax Preparer (PTP) Steve is a graduate of the University of Utah and was a medical laboratory entrepreneur for 13 years and an accountant, tax preparation and business growth expert for over 30 years, working with over 1100 small business owners and professionals in 11 states. He has been working with Universal Accounting for the past 7, and has grown his own successful bookkeeping, accounting and tax preparation business. Steve finds his real purpose in his family, has been married for over 45 years, and has 5 children, and 11 grandchildren. He enjoys working with his son, Trevor.
Bill Brough, MBA, EA Academic & Firm Coach – Professional Tax Preparer (PTP)
Bill came to the world of ledgers and tax returns by an unlikely route. He majored in music, and spent time as a songwriter in Los Angeles, even landing a spot on a production team for a Stevie Wonder spin-off called Writer’s Quarters West. To help make ends meet for his young family, Bill started a small business in 1988, part-time, while still keeping a foot in the music industry. But it quickly consumed all his time and energy, and he discovered that he actually enjoyed running a business, which required learning how to keep the books, which led to an MBA in finance and accounting. Eventually, Bill was hired by Universal Accounting Center in Salt Lake City to teach their unique bookkeeping and tax preparation courses to students from all over the country. He has been a lead writer and editor for Universal Accounting’s Professional Tax Preparer course. He also worked several seasons as a tax professional for H&R Block. Having worked several seasons as a tax professional for H&R Block, Bill currently runs his own thriving bookkeeping, accounting and tax preparation business.
Is Professional Tax Preparer™ Certification Right For You?
If you’re interested in learning more about Professional Tax Preparer™ Certification and exploring whether Universal Accounting’s at-home learning model is right for you, fill out the form on this page. A friendly and knowledgeable UAC Advisor would be happy to help you explore your options and uncover the right training solution and business plan to suit you.