Get The Skills To Be A Bookkeeping & Accounting Professional
What is our Professional Bookkeeper™ Certification?
Many professions use designations and certifications to identify their areas of expertise. It recognizes individuals as true specialists with advanced experience in their field. In accounting, the Professional Bookkeeper™ designation represents a person who is proficient in the day-to-day practical application of the accounting process in small to mid-sized businesses.
A survey by HR.com recently posted that, of the companies participating, “100 percent of respondents agreed that industry certifications are preferred during the hiring process, in both new hire and internal employee placement scenarios. Certifications provide status to those who have proven their knowledge and give employers a benchmark standard for measuring employee candidates.”
We at Universal Accounting deeply understand this principle, and our program seeks to give you the expertise and accolades to win a highly desirable job opening, merit significant pay increases in salary at your current job, or successfully start a lucrative bookkeeping practice.
Our Professional Bookkeeper™ designation represents a person who is proficient in the day-to-day practical application of the accounting process in small to mid-sized businesses. This demonstrates the accountant’s expertise and commitment in this profession while providing quality service for their employer or client. If you’re looking to become a bookkeeping professional who specializes in small to mid-sized businesses, or you’re interested in earning the credentials it takes to advance in your current career, you owe it to yourself to check out Professional Bookkeeper Certification. The Professional Bookkeeper Certification Program was created to meet the high industry demand for qualified small business bookkeeping and accounting professionals.
Upon completion of this program, qualified students receive the PB designation. This designation shows potential employers and clients that you are fully qualified to take care of small business accounting and bookkeeping needs from “A to Z”. Thousands of students have successfully completed our program and now enjoy great success either in their professional careers or in the establishment of their own accounting practices. We are confident that this program will satisfy your desire to master small-business accounting and take control of your professional future.
Why Get Certified as a Professional Bookkeeper?
What benefits does Universal Accounting’s Bookkeeping Class provide?
When you become a Professional Bookkeeper™, you increase your worth dramatically & grant yourself an incredible amount of benefits, including:
- Place the professional designation of “PB” after your name, which certifies your advanced skills in bookkeeping & the day-to-day application of accounting in business
- Raise your value to your company, employer or clients. Advance your career and potentially increase your wages/earnings helping you get paid what you are worth
- Additionally, on the side (if you desire), take on a few clients for up to $400 per month each
- Work whenever and however you want
- Work from home
- Work full-time or part-time
Potential Career Options
This course prepares you for possible employment in the following occupations:
- Accountant Accounts Payable Clerk
- Accounts Receivable Clerk
- Bookkeeping Clerk
- Payroll Clerk
- Accounting Clerk
- General Ledger Bookkeeper
- Office Manager
- Full-charge Bookkeeper
- Internal Auditor
- General Ledger Accountant
In-Demand Skills in Advanced Accounting & Bookkeeping
“Employers are competing in a fierce hiring market today. Skilled accounting and finance talent is in short supply, and top candidates frequently field multiple job offers. For many roles, the talent crisis is expected to deepen.” (RHI 2019 Salary Guide)
As you complete Universal Accounting’s bookkeeping course, you will gain valuable industry-specific experience and skills that are sought after by employers, including:
- Advanced excel expertise
- General knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, especially SAP, Oracle and Microsoft Dynamics GP
- Knowledge of cloud-based systems, like Netsuite & Workday
- Experience with data analytics and database management software, especially SQL
- Proficiency in Hyperion, for financial analyst positions
- QuickBooks expertise, in small & midsize businesses
- Leadership abilities
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with multiple departments
A High Paying Salary
In addition to practical, full-charge accounting skills and bookkeeping certification online, you’ll gain the knowledge to launch and develop a career that potentially pays you higher earnings. Consider the following chart, showcasing the average salaries of various positions in corporate & public accounting by their skill level (percentile).
- Source: For current data consider Robert Half International Salary Guide for 2022
Program Assistance Benefits
As a student and or graduate of Universal Accounting’s Professional Tax Preparation program, a buyer is entitled to our Job Placement Assistance Program (PB, QS and PTP Programs), and may be assisted with:
- Resume Preparation
- Assistance via email in the review and development of a resume for the purpose of securing interviews
- Resume Placement Assistance
- Helping to identify possible employers and accounting related positions by following a weekly routine
- Interviewing Technique Review
- Role play advice and suggestions to improve the success of interviewing opportunities.
Become a Compelling Asset when Applying for a Job or Receiving a Raise
Consider the following excerpts from Robert Half Finance & Accounting (the world’s first and largest accounting and finance staffing firm) when it comes to the importance of obtaining actual advanced certifications, not just learning how to become a bookkeeper or gaining additional bookkeeping skills.
“Without the right skills, your accounting career isn’t going to go very far — even if you have the right connections, a perfectly polished resume, and an eloquent elevator pitch. For many roles, accounting certifications matter.
“Accounting and finance professionals are in high demand, thanks to the steadily rebounding economy. Still, it’s the advanced certifications you earn that will help you secure the position and compensation you want. When you take the time to invest in professional development and certifications, it makes your resume stand out and sends a message to employers that you’re dedicated to your career and motivated to advance by enhancing your skills and knowledge.”
According to the latest Salary Guide for Accounting and Finance from Robert Half, in-demand credentials can add 5 to 15 percent to the overall pay for finance and accounting professionals — who have an average starting salary, by the way, that’s expected to rise …” by Robert Half Finance & Accounting
Benefits of Online Courses vs. In-Person
The Professional Bookkeeper (PB) program is specifically designed to be completely online. While some people do prefer learning in an in-person atmosphere, and while it is possible to search for “bookkeeping classes near me” and find some viable options, we believe the benefits of an online class outweigh that of local in-person classes.
- Online courses are updated constantly with new bookkeeping legislation from around the country. Meanwhile, local bookkeeping classes may have less frequently updated curriculums for non-local finance laws.
- Students receive significantly more access to resources when they go through their bookkeeping training online. Our library of resources is vast. Plus, for any and all questions, teaching and program support are only an email or phone call away. Local options will likely be limited to one or two teachers, and their personal availability for questions or tutoring much less frequent.
- Online classes give students the flexibility and freedom to complete the curriculum at their own pace, fits well into already busy schedules, and allows students to continue participating in their life and career. Many of our students are already involved in the accounting or finance world and wish to continue working while they become certified bookkeepers.
How to Get Certified & Become a Bookkeeping Professional
Our Program: How it Works
How do I learn to do bookkeeping? How can I become a bookkeeper? How do I start my practice? How do I grow my practice? Where do I find clients?
These are some of the many questions our clients have as they begin our PB Certification program, and we address them all. Our Professional Bookkeeper™ Program course consists of 20 – 67 hours of training over 4 modules (listed below). The courses are completely online, and can be taken at your own pace. The courses include all aspects of small business bookkeeping & accounting training and allow you to become proficient in the day-to-day application of accounting in business.
Course Details & Modules
The first 3 course modules & trainings include:
(Click on each module for details & Table of Content)
- Accounting Made Easy: Fundamental principles of accounting for small business
- Practical Small Business Application: Learn the day-to-day procedures used by businesses each month to record and tabulate their financial events
- Advanced Accounting: Train in the more sophisticated issues associated with creating a set of books from scratch, auditing the results internally, and closing out the books at the end of the year
The course is completely online and the training is self-paced. small business bookkeeping & accounting training, to become proficient in the day-to-day application of accounting in business
Taking the Bookkeeping Certification Exam
After completing the training, Universal Accounting students feel confident and fully prepared to take the Professional Bookkeeper™ certification exam. The Professional Bookkeeper program may also qualify for as many as 60 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits depending on the state or association you are a member of.
Completion of the Professional Bookkeeper™ program is your first step to accelerate your Accounting and Bookkeeping career where you’ll learn what you need to know to take on a few clients on the side if you so desire.
Upon qualification of the program, you become certified as a Professional Bookkeeper and are licensed to use the (PB) designation. Your enrollment in the PB Certification program extends even after you are qualified, and includes the following:
- An assigned Marketing Coach to support & help build a bookkeeping business. You’ll be assigned to a team of coaches to tutor and instruct you as needed and apply all of this in the real world for as many as 1 to 2 years
- Training Module #4 – Building a Successful Bookkeeping Service: The turnkey process to start & build a successful accounting business. This includes proven marketing strategies, pricing, client interviewing for budgeting & forecasting and much more.
- As part of your enrollment and upon completion of the program you’ll have the opportunity to speak with your assigned business coach and have a Marketing Implementation Session. This will be a one-on-one discussion to develop your business plan and a clear marketing strategy to get you the clients you need.
Meet Your Coach
Adam Syvock – your tutor Academic & Firm Coach, Professional Bookkeeper (PB) program. Adam works with Universal Accounting’s PB students regarding questions about the curriculum and real-world accounting situations. Adam is a graduate of Universal Accounting’s PB program himself, and also holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In addition, Adam also uses his skills as a profit and growth expert to run his own accounting practice. He is also QuickBooks Certified and is working towards his Enrolled Agent (EA) designation to be able to help small businesses with accounting and tax.
Is Professional Bookkeeper™ Certification Right For You?
If you’re interested in learning more about Professional Bookkeeper™ Certification and exploring whether Universal Accounting®’s at-home learning model is right for you, fill out the form on this page.
A friendly and knowledgeable UAC advisor would be happy to help you explore your options and uncover the right training solution and business plan to suit you. Plus, get your Free Video on How to Make More Money in the Accounting / Bookkeeping Profession.