If you’ve been thinking about launching a startup, you should know the steps required to successfully get your business up and running. Whether you plan to operate your practice full or part-time, it’s important that you have a plan.
The following checklist will help you perform all the startup tasks in the proper order:
1. Name Your Business. Recognize that naming your business is just the beginning of creating a brand for yourself. Put some serious thought into your business name in order to best appeal to your target market.
2. Create a business plan. Without a business plan you haven’t given yourself the opportunity to truly plan all the necessary details, building a foundation for your success. Read up on how to create a successful business plan.
3. Create a marketing plan. No matter how good you are at tax preparation, you still have to focus some of your energy on marketing; if you don’t do any marketing, you’ll have no one to do any tax preparation for. So what do you do? You create a marketing plan to go along with your business plan.
4. Determine your business entity. There’s no one right or wrong answer when matching your business to the right business entity. Sometimes just a little knowledge can ensure that you make the best choice for you.
5. Determine your business location. The most important element in picking the right location is finding a place that will allow you to be productive and focus on your work. If you’ve decided to lease an office, take the time to research an appropriate area. Is there a room in your house that could be dedicated to your new business? Weigh the pros and cons and pick a place that works for your current situation and budget.
6. Make it legal. It’s important to start your business off on the right foot. File the proper papers and pay the required fees. It’s also not a bad idea to consult with a lawyer to ensure you’re headed in not only right direction, but a law-abiding one.
7. Open the necessary bank accounts. Establishing business accounts will streamline your accounting processes. In this, you avoid the hassle of trying to distinguish personal transactions from business transactions.
8. Organize your office. Your office should provide you with a productive and favorable work environment. Generally this means it should also be well organized and professional. For more information on setting up your office, read our two-part series on office organization.
9. Launch a website. One of the most inexpensive marketing tools available is your business website. With minimal startup and maintenance costs you can develop a good website that will represent you well and increase your clientele. It will also work 24/7 as a virtual receptionist, getting the word out about your business while you can actually work. And if well developed, your business website will be more than an inexpensive marketing tool, but a good point of contact and an effort to further brand your business.
10. Spread the word and open your doors. It’s important that you get the word out about your new practice. When marketing your startup, make sure you use proven strategies that work for your unique target market.
Improve Your Odds for Success
Most of your competitors don’t offer specialized small-business accounting services. But after completing the Professional Bookkeeper (PB) program, you can! Consider a training program that is catered to your needs and busy schedule—one that will enable you to earn a professional designation after just 60 hours of your valuable time.
When you enroll in the Professional Bookkeeper Program you receive to the following:
- Flexible training you complete on your own schedule
- Rich and engaging training DVDs you can view again and again
- Hands-on instruction and practice sets through which you gain much-needed experience
- Training in building and marketing your new practice
- 6 months of valuable follow-up support
- The opportunity to earn professional certification
- Our iron-clad risk-free guarantee
Expand your service offerings by enrolling in UAC’s valuable Professional Bookkeeper Program. Call 1-877-833-7908 to enroll today!