You’re thinking, Are you crazy? Why would I be afraid of success? Silly as it may sound, some of us have difficulty realizing our goals simply because we hold a subconscious fear of what might happen once we become successful. Maybe you’re afraid that success would change your life more than you’d like, alter fulfilling relationships, or introduce new difficulties you’d rather avoid.
Could this fear be what’s preventing you from moving forward? Take this short quiz to see if you might be sabotaging your own success.
1. Are you easily distracted from projects that would help you become more successful? You have a handful of prospective clients who would improve your roster and your bottom line. But of course you need to take action first; potential clients don’t usually burst through your door, begging for your time and attention – typically they require some coaxing. When you become easily distracted from tasks that could make you more successful, chances are you’re avoiding potential success or maybe even potential failure. Regardless of the reason, the behavior is holding you back.
2. Do you feel you’ve lost somehow when someone you know achieves success? Intellectually you can recognize that it’s really not a contest; someone else’s success doesn’t lessen your potential to succeed. But knowing that doesn’t eliminate those envious feelings you might have when you see someone else moving ahead, realizing their dreams. If you recognize a tendency to feel threatened by someone else’s success you should go out of your way to congratulate that person, even if you have to feign happiness for them. Then take some action to move forward on your own dreams.
3. Do you feel uncomfortable when someone compliments you? We do ourselves an incredible disservice when we don’t just smile and say “thank you” when complimented. And if you catch yourself doing any negative self-talk, make a conscious effort to stop it. Most successful people are comfortable with their achievements and can gracefully accept compliments. Begin practicing today!
4. Do you procrastinate moving forward because you believe there’s more you can do to prepare? There’s always more you can do to prepare for success, and that’s what makes this obstacle so sinister, because you can forever prepare and never more forward. Make a deal with yourself and continue to prepare as you take the necessary action to accomplish your dreams.
5. Do you jump into projects without doing any research or preparation? This is the opposite from the above, but equaling damaging. Sometimes we sabotage our efforts by jumping into a project without doing any preparation, often dooming ourselves to failure. Move forward with caution. Do the necessary research and determine crucial tasks that must be completed in order to succeed.
Sit down and list those things you’ve considered doing to advance your career. Then pick one, resolve to work on it this week, and get busy!
Start by Increasing Your Profitability
If you would like additional help on increasing the profitability of your business and your clients’ businesses, purchase In the Black, a book that shares nine principles that make businesses more lucrative. You can begin applying these principles to your practice, or your clients’ businesses, immediately. And, as a financial professional, you can use this information to enhance your practice by becoming your clients’ Profit Expert. Order In the Black today and have 9 principles, at-the-ready, that you can use to enhance your accounting practice.