The Modern Bookkeeper-The Small Business Profit Expert
What is Today’s Bookkeeper Really Like?
“Our Song is the Star Spangled Banner.” That’s what my good friend said. His wife couldn’t believe that was his answer to what romantic song left him “weak-in-the-knees”. Now, every time I’m at a baseball or basketball game and they play the Star Spangled Banner, I lean over to my wife and say, “That a boy, [name omitted].”Of course,he and his sweet and understanding spouse must remain anonymous. I don’t think she would ever forgive me if I revealed his identity, but yes, he is a member of the accounting profession.Despite his apparent lack of romance, he is not the dull, bean-counter caricature that has followed bookkeepers and accountants around for years. In fact, he has a really great sense of humor, is a very savvy business man and a great friend.In my opinion, he is the perfect example of what today’s bookkeeper or accountant is really like. I’d like to share with you some of the traits that I think are critical to the modern bookkeeper and how these traits will help you grow your bookkeeping and accounting practice.
The Green Visor is Gone…
- He is a Likeable Fellow- The first real “accountant” I ever knew was my dad’s accountant. He was a grumpy old guy who never smiled. I don’t think anyone enjoyed being around him, but he was very good at what he did, so we all put up with it.Today, being good at accounting is not enough. The modern bookkeeper is a likeable person who communicates and works well with both clients and co-workers. If you like people and enjoy working with others to solve problems, you have the perfect personality to be the modern bookkeeper.
- He Knows About Other Stuff Too- I’ve noticed that my friend is informed about the world around him. Although his taste in romantic music is somewhat lacking, he is pretty well-rounded. In fact, we hardly ever talk about accounting when we’re together. (Despite the fact that we both work in the accounting field.)If you have interests outside of accounting, that’s a good indication that you will be able to communicate and relate to your clients on a more personal level. After all, that personal connection is what will keep your clients working with you instead of finding someone else who is more personable. Your personality is a unique advantage over your competition.
- He is a Very Savvy Marketer- I don’t think he started out that way, but he knows marketing. He has spent the time to educate himself on the best ways to find and keep clients. He stays up-to-date on what marketing methods work and how to apply them to his business.If you are willing to learn the secrets that will help you find clients and make your business grow, you are well on your way to a successful bookkeeping and accounting practice. It’s not difficult and will pay big dividends as you grow your practice.
- He is Obsessive About the Details- It’s often the little things that make the most difference. When it comes to his career, he is relentless with the details. Of course, he’s human, but he pays attention to the little things that will make the difference in profitability for his clients and himself. He’s more than just a bookkeeper, he’s a profit expert.He is very successful in business because he is not casual about anything that goes on inside his business. Paying attention to the details will make your business grow and prosper. In fact, your clients are hiring you to pay attention to the details.
- He is a True Professional- I don’t think I have ever seen him in the work environment when he didn’t look like a complete professional from head to toe. He dresses professionally. He carries himself professionally. And exudes confidence and capability in his very demeanor. You know he will get the job done for you.In the business world, perception is reality. If you don’t look like a professional when you meet your clients, they won’t have the confidence to trust their business financial records to you. You may be the best bookkeeper in the city, but you have to look like it, or you won’t have the clients you need to grow your business.
- He is Technically Proficient- He keeps up to date on the latest computer software and hardware. He’s not afraid of the technology that makes accounting and bookkeeping more and more efficient and accurate all the time. If you’re not afraid to embrace technology as it changes and evolves, you excel as a modern bookkeeper.
- He is a Person of Personal Integrity- His clients and coworkers trust him. He does nothing that would cause anyone who knows him to doubt his intentions or motivations. You can trust what he says because he does what he says he will do.Although this is at the end of the list, I think it’s one of the most important qualities. You will know the most intimate details concerning the companies you work with. As the bookkeeper, you will know the complete financial picture of every business you work with. These business owners will put their complete and utter trust in you.
How Many of These Qualities Do You Posses?
These 7 skills are critical to your personal and professional success. If you exhibit many of these traits, with some specialized training, you’ll do a great job as a small buisness bookkeeper.Universal Accounting has taught the ins-and-outs of small business accounting for over 25 years. Since 1979, the Professional Bookkeeper Program has taught people just like you and me everything you need to know to do the bookkeeping and accounting for small businesses. From the flower shop down the road to the dry cleaner around the corner, you will have the skills to offer a valuable and needed service.With over 500,000 new business start-ups each and every month, the opportunites in small business bookkeeping and accounting have never been better. Find out more. Click on the link below and find out for yourself how achievable, profitable and easy it is to start your own bookkeeping and accounting practice.Click Here to Find Out Why The Professional Bookkeeper Program is the Best Way to Learn Small Business Bookkeeping and Accounting