Peer pressure has gotten a bad rap. It carries a negative connotation implying that people are swayed to do things contrary to their own well being. However, there is such a thing as positive peer pressure which implies that people are swayed to do things beneficial to their own well being and, perhaps, the profitability of their businesses. We’d like to consider how professional peer pressure can encourage you to reach greater heights while enjoying the camaraderie of your peers. Here are four ways that peer pressure can be a positive force in your life:
1. A catalyst for change.
As you interact with your peers, you will discover that not everyone does things the same way you do. This can introduce fresh and innovative ways to complete tasks, resolve problems, and encourage growth.
2. Motivation for improvement.
All businesses can benefit from a healthy dose of competition. It encourages renewed focus, additional effort and creative thinking. This can come from interacting with other professionals like yourself as you attempt to become the most prominent accountant in the field.
3. Networking opportunities.
You may live in Salt Lake City, Utah and meet an accountant from St. George. That accountant may have friends and family in Salt Lake that he or she can’t serve due to distance. However, if you develop a good relationship with that accountant, he or she may be able to refer prospective clients your way and visa versa.
4. Desire to help and be helped.
In addition to encouraging healthy competition, peer pressure can expose you to individuals with whom you can build synergistic relationships where you help others and are helped in return. Often your peers can help you create the most favorable support group for you and your business.
Peer pressure doesn’t have to be negative. We’re all grown-ups here, right? We can recognize and appreciate the skill and expertise we see in others and use that as motivation to improve ourselves. In addition, the interaction we experience with our peers can be both emotionally and monetarily rewarding.
Find Positive Peer Pressure at the Universal Accounting Conference
To experience positive peer pressure while learning business-building skills, attend the Universal Accounting Conference next month. You could attend sessions on the following topics:
- Getting Started with Office Technology
- Networking and Relationship Strategies
- Planning Practice Growth
- The Power of Presence: Your Ultimate Marketing Channel
- Becoming a Profit Expert with Business Benchmarking Reports
- Technology Strategies for the Growing Office
- Working through Resistance
- Phenomenal Women in Business
- Smart Staffing Strategies to Work Less and Make More
- Personality Profiles and Profit
- How to Find and Create Expanded Service Opportunities
- Tax Practice Administration
- Introduction to Social Media
- How the Right Client Feedback will Perfect Your Practice
- Future of the Accounting/Financial Services Industry
- From Friend to Fortunate: Making Social Media Pay
Often the best way to improve your business is by attending a conference that covers powerful topics with practical information you can apply immediately. Not to mention you will be given the priceless opportunity to interact and engage with your peers. The Universal Accounting Conference will be held on September 20-21 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Change the face of your business in two short days. Register now before we reach enrollment capacity!