The Pareto Principle of Priority Management


The 80-20 Rule

The Pareto Principle is one that is followed by most successful business operators. It’s name is derived from the nineteenth century Italian economist of the same name and is a performance rule which states that 80% of your results are achieved from 20% of your activities.

It can also be expressed as 80% of revenue is generated by 20% of your client base and 20% is generated by the remaining 80% or activities which take up to 80% of your effort may only produce 20% of your results and profits.

The obvious trick is to determine which 20% will yield the desired results.

Focus On What is Working

From a marketing perspective the Pareto Principle indicates that we should concentrate on the big picture and not waste our efforts on activities that, at best, will provide only mediocre results. That 80% of your client base, although providing you with diversification, can be the most demanding and yet the least profitable part of your business.

You can harness the message from the Pareto Principle in your own business by:

  • Focusing your attention on those clients who provide you with the bulk of your work and your income. It’s a matter of practicing the “love the one you’re with” concept by offering your existing clients your full range of services.
  • Concentrating your marketing efforts on those activities that have traditionally accounted for the major part of your business — developing word of mouth referrals.
  • Putting your efforts into those services which represent the major component of your income.

Use the Pareto Principle to Be More Profitable

It’s worth reflecting on the Pareto Principle and determine those activities which sap your energy and your time but which don’t make a useful contribution to your results. Once you identify them you need to decide on whether they should be eliminated.

Proper Business Processes Help Guard Your Success

With your business’ legal issues, it is critical to dot all your i’s and cross your t’s. Most startup business owners that you run into have a few stories of things they learned the hard way.

One of the most important ways that the Professional Bookkeeper™ program really distinguishes itself is in how it helps new businesses avoid legal hangups. Knowing the best ways to protect yourself ensures that you get paid for every hour of work that you do. You will learn how to earn $30-$60 per hour doing the kind of bookkeeping needed by every small business.

Learn More About the Professional Bookkeeping Program

Table of Contents


Featured Articles

5 Small Business Do's and Don'ts _ (1)

Do’s and Don’ts of Small Business

5 Small Business Do’s and Don’ts : A Marketing Tool you can pass on to current and potential customers Note: We’re all about driving business into your doors. The following article is a marketing piece

Read More »

Recommended Reads

Tax Preparation Course

About How it works Testimonials Course Details Coaches Curriculum FAQs Apply Today More than just a Tax Preparation Course We focus on hitting your income & career goals. If you are like our students, you

Read More »

Professional Bookkeeper Certification Course

Get The Skills To Be A Bookkeeping & Accounting Professional     What is our Professional Bookkeeper™ Certification?   Many professions use designations and certifications to identify their areas of expertise. It recognizes individuals as

Read More »

Become An Enrolled Agent, EA

Become An Enrolled Agent, EA An enrolled agent is a tax practitioner who is licensed with the Internal Revenue Service to represent clients before the IRS. An enrolled agent is the highest credential awarded by

Read More »
QuickBooks Specialist Certification.jpg

QuickBooks Certification

Get the Skills to Be a QuickBooks Specialist QuickBooks Specialist™ Certification The Professional Bookkeeper’s Guide to QuickBooks is designed to teach anybody how to use QuickBooks. Whether or not you consider yourself a bookkeeping professional,

Read More »

Accountant Certification Programs

Get Certified in Accounting, Bookkeeping, Tax Prep, QuickBooks etc. Enhance & Grow Your Business Knowledge in as little as 4 Weeks with Our Accountant Certification Programs From employers to clients, everyone likes a financial professional

Read More »