Starting Your Home-Based Bookkeeping Business
A professional bookkeeper is someone with the training and experience to handle day-to-day accounting operations for a business. Large companies tend to have in-house bookkeeping teams that assist their accounting departments with recordkeeping, tax document preparation, and a host of other critical responsibilities. Many professional bookkeepers find employment at large accounting firms or as part of corporate accounting departments, but it is also possible to be a work-from-home bookkeeper and cultivate your own business with the right training and tools.
If you are interested in starting a bookkeeping business and working from home, you could potentially open the door to a lucrative and fulfilling accounting career with the freedom to choose how fast and how large you grow your business in the future. Whether you dream of one day opening your own accounting company or simply cultivating a small list of clients for steady income, Universal Accounting can provide the education you need to work from home in bookkeeping and do it successfully.
Why Work From Home as a Professional Bookkeeper?
The modern business world is incredibly fast paced. Managing professional and personal responsibilities in a fulfilling career is incredibly challenging without the right tools and experience, and Universal Accounting strives to provide both to everyone who comes to us for bookkeeping certification and training.
Working from home offers a wealth of opportunities, not to mention the option to work in your pajamas in the comfort of your own home. However, the freedom of working from home and running your own business comes with the responsibility of managing that business effectively. Many professional bookkeepers are opting to work from home for several reasons:
- Be your own boss. Instead of juggling vacation time and earning paid time off, you decide when and how hard you work. All you need to do is make sure your clients know when you’re available and take as much time off as you like, whenever you like.
- Grow your business at your own pace. Whether you want to build a powerful accounting practice or simply enhance your existing income with a side job as a work from home bookkeeper, you get to decide the course of your professional career.
- Working from home makes it easier to manage your personal life. If you have young children, you could potentially save thousands of dollars each year in daycare costs and spend more time with your kids each day when you work from home.
- Working from home means minimal overhead. If you are your only employee, you don’t need to worry about payroll, hiring, training, or any of the other responsibilities that come with managing a team of employees. If you decide to grow your practice in the future, you can worry about these issues when the time comes.
- Running your own business from your home is incredibly rewarding. Since you oversee your home-based bookkeeping practice, you get to decide the type of clients you accept and the pace at which your business grows.
- You have unlimited potential. Develop a steady client list and make a comfortable income or grow your business until you can expand to an office building and offer your clients more robust services with a larger staff. Working from home can be the groundwork for an incredibly fulfilling career.
Ultimately, the biggest benefit of being a work from home bookkeeper is the flexibility to take your career in the direction you desire. While this requires that you take on more responsibilities than you would by accepting a job at a corporate accounting department or an accounting firm, the tradeoff is well worth the additional effort. A little bit of guidance can not only help you manage your home bookkeeping practice more efficiently, but also empower you with the knowledge and tools to grow your business into the future.
Starting Your Home Bookkeeping Business the Right Way
If you decide to work from home as a bookkeeper, you’re going to need to prepare accordingly. When it comes to workspace, all you really need is a comfortable space in your home and a few standard accounting tools. Some prefer to lounge on their couches with laptops and wireless devices while others enjoy setting up home offices. If you plan on meeting with clients in your home, you want to have a comfortable space for these encounters.
You also need to invest in the equipment and software to manage your bookkeeping responsibilities. How will you physically store your clients’ books? What type of system do you want to use to develop a set of books from scratch? These are just a few of the questions to ask when starting your home bookkeeping practice. You’re also going to need to develop a way to market your business and attract and retain new clients to ensure you have a steady stream of income.
The additional responsibilities that come with working from home as a professional bookkeeper can seem daunting at first, but a little support and guidance can go a long way and help you start your home bookkeeping business on the right foot. Universal Accounting offers a range of bookkeeping services that help you obtain the certifications you require and empower you with the skills to grow your home bookkeeping business.
Professional Bookkeeping Certification from Universal Accounting
Working from home as a professional bookkeeper is one of the most rewarding ways to explore a career in the professional accounting industry, offering you the tools you need to grow your career the way you want while enabling you to manage your personal life more effectively. Universal Accounting offers a proven turnkey solution for building your own accounting practice from home, complete with tools and guidance to empower you to run your business on your terms.
The Professional Bookkeeper course track from Universal Accounting can become the foundation of your accounting career and provide you with the tools you to develop a successful home-based bookkeeping business or grow your home practice into a successful accounting firm in the future. Call Universal Accounting today at (877) 833-7909 to learn more about our Professional Bookkeeper courses and how we can help you jumpstart your career as a work-from-home professional bookkeeper.